Sunday, November 9, 2008

Divide and Conquer


Tandita is finishing up her second year of the physical therapy assistant program and has some inservice training that she has to do this year. She is doing one in Niles and one in Benton Harbor back to back and will be staying with Vanessa while she does that. She is in the process of trying to work out the last one at the Paradise Adventist Hospital here in April/May. We are hoping it will all be worked out. The hospital has a pretty large physical therapy outpatient program. In fact that's where I went for the PT that I just finished. We're kinda excited about having her come. I thought you'd like to see this picture of her.

When we grocery shop, we use the divide and conquer method to get done. A few days ago we went to Chico and got groceries at WinCo, a discount store that also has bulk staples, etc. We first experienced this chain when we lived in Idaho. It was busy but not too crowded (as it sometimes is). Anyhow, Don sent me to find a couple of items while he scooped up some things in another section.

I was hurrying down the left side of the aisle with some canned milk in my hand. (Don had the cart) Suddenly a gentlemen stopped in front of me (coming from the opposite direction). I was kinda hemmed in and couldn't help but see what he was reaching for. He pulled one jar off the shelf, and I said "sauerkraut!"
Now, I haven't considered buying sauerkraut for many years. He looked at me as he reached for another, so feeling a little stupid for my comment said, "I love sauerkraut." He said, "so do I, it's good."

"I think I'll buy some, too." I decided. So he handed me the second jar as he took it off the shelf and thanked him. We both laughed, and I thanked him and went on my way. When I found Don, he was not impressed that I bought sauerkraut. "Don't fix any of that for me!" was his response. Well, with some big franks cut into it, I think I can have a couple great lunches. I'll let you know next week if it was as good as it looked.

I'm wondering if any of you remember having sauerkraut and if you liked it. I even remember my mom making it herself...but I don't remember how it turned out. But I do like it a lot.
This afternoon Don and I are going to the home of the Spencers for a short visit. (This is for the Boston connection) Don saw Gary at church, and Mary called us in the afternoon. I don't think I have ever met either one of them, but of course Don has.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Actually, Duncan and I both really like sauerkraut. In fact, my mother has a recipe called Bavarian Weiner Cassorole with one of the main ingredients being sauerkraut. It's delicious!

Don and Sue said...

If it's not too complicated, post the recipe here, ok?